Stephanie Coppom, trauma nurse coordinator; Travis Guthrie, MD, emergency physician; and Mary Ann Ronfeldt, emergency charge nurse, show off the rugs that people can get in exchange for a throw rug.
Teams present 'Mugs For Rugs' to prevent falls at home
Exchange throw rugs for coffee mugs at county locations
Good Samaritan Medical Center will partner with three other health agencies to help people reduce their risk of falling by trading in their throw rugs for a free drinking mug.
The Mugs For Rugs program was planned to recognize National Fall Prevention Week. Good Samaritan, now a part of Intermountain Health, joins Boulder County Area Agency on Aging, Colorado Trauma Network and Foothills Regional Emergency Medical and Trauma Advisory Council.
Mugs will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis. People can bring their rugs, 4 feet by 6 feet or smaller, to one of the locations listed. All rugs will be donated to local animal shelters.
Loose throw rugs are a common tripping hazard in homes and easily can be removed to reduce the risk of tripping and falling.
"More than 70% of patients who are admitted to Good Samaritan Medical Center with traumatic injuries suffered those injuries due to a fall,” said Grace Dobbertin, trauma outreach education coordinator. “Common injuries resulting from falls include broken bones and traumatic brain injuries."
She said home safety checks and removing tripping hazards are effective ways to prevent injuries that result from falling.
For people who want to keep rugs in the home, they should make sure the rugs are placed securely on the floor and do not have turned corners or edges that can be a tripping hazard. The best rugs have a heavy-backed rubber bottom so they stay in place.
Donation sites and events are:
- Louisville Recreation and Senior Center, 10-11 a.m., September 11-13
- Lyons Redstone Café, 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m., September 12
- Erie Community Center, 11 a.m.-12:30 p.m., September 14
- Boulder County AAA Community Services Department, Sundquist Building, 2-4:30 p.m., September 26
- Allenspark Lunch Bunch, Highlands Presbyterian Camp and Retreat Center, 10 a.m.-1:30 p.m., October 26
- Lafayette Senior Center, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., September 18-22
- Louisville Senior Center, 9 a.m.-1:30 p.m., September 14-15 and September 19-22
- Superior Community Center, 1-4 p.m., September 25-29 .